As an open institution maintaining strong ties to the community, our goal is to engage students, faculty, and staff to build a collaborative learning environment.
At Lakes Region Community College . . .
- We recognize, value and promote the uniqueness and diversity of our students, both as individuals and as persons with varying educational goals and potentials.
- We believe our students learn through self-exploration, rigorous academics, and experiential discovery.
- We value and present a challenging and supportive learning environment which enhance students’ abilities to think critically, to communicate effectively, and to demonstrate competencies and skills needed to contribute productively to their communities and beyond.
- We value educating our students beyond our classroom walls and into the community at large.
- We believe in fostering relationships between students and employers to promote lifelong professional interactions.
- We value and nurture curiosity, inquiry, critical thinking, and creativity within the safe but challenging confines of a rigorous academic environment that appreciates multiple perspectives.
- We model, advocate and expect ethical and moral behaviors which allow for open and constructive conversations.
DEFINITION OF AN EDUCATED PERSON
An educated person is an individual who has undertaken a lifelong journey of discovery and learning. Throughout the lifelong process of acquiring skills and knowledge, the individual is empowered to function effectively throughout his/her life and career.
An educated person has the tools to be a productive member of society and to work for changes to better the local and global community.
An educated person values and pursues knowledge and actualizes his/her capacity for human relationships; for communication; for critical thinking and creative problem solving/decision making; for a global and diverse perspective; for mathematical and scientific processes; for information literacy; and for career-based technical skills.