Federal Work Study

What is work study?

The Higher Education Amendments of 1992, authorized the Work-Study Program. The program recognizes, encourages and promotes the use of comprehensive work-learning programs as a valuable educational approach when used as an integral part of the school’s educational program and as part of a financial plan that decreases reliance on grants and loans.

The federal work study program provides jobs for students who have demonstrated financial need by filing the Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). College Work-Study Program encourages the part-time employment of undergraduate students who need the income to help pay for their cost of education and encourages FWS recipients to participate in community service activities. To be eligible for a Federal Work-Study job, a student must meet all eligibility requirements. In addition, a student must have financial need.

Federal awards are listed on your award notification letter. The work study program is designed to help eligible students meet the costs of obtaining a higher education. The program encourages work related to the student’s course of student and community service work. It is a wonderful opportunity for qualified students to work part-time in an educational environment while taking classes.

Earnings from the federal work study program, although taxable, are excluded from the student’s income for purposes of applying for financial aid for the next year (Worksheet C of the FAFSA).

As a student worker, you can gain experience in your field of study at LRCC or in other areas of personal interest. Hiring departments understand that education is the top priority and are flexible in working around student schedules. For these reasons, as well as the financial benefits, we encourage students to consider employment as an option.

Earnings are paid directly to the student and will NOT be applied to your bill. Student workers are paid by the hour and paychecks are distributed on a bi-weekly schedule. A basic award is $600 with students earning these funds at hourly rate of $8—$9 per hour. The award amount may be increase as the year goes on and funding allows.

All students who work on campus are required to complete the I-9 and W-4 forms. These documents will be requested by the financial aid office upon assignment to a department. The forms are also available on the College website “click” here for access for you to print the form.

Once the supervisor agrees to hire a work-study student, the FAO will confirm the position with an “Assignment Form” which needs to be completed by both parties.

Students are enrolled in a bi-weekly payroll system through the State of NH. Timesheets are due every other Thursday as specified by the payroll period schedule.

8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.    
Monday – Friday           

(603) 366-5210

Related Links
Federal Work Study
I-9 Form
W-4 Form

Apply Now




Campus Notices


Learn Online

Contact Us